Studio Space for Quilting

I have a loft space which could easily be two small bedrooms. I coveted this space and took it over when the pool table left. Little by little I added more stuff to it. There were books, fabric, items that couldn’t find a place in another area of the house. And little by little it got out of control. There were areas that worked but I couldn’t get to them easily. Before I could work I would have to stop and  move something. clearing the floor 012

Then there was the bribe. The big guy would agree to put new flooring down if I would agree to emptying the room. It was a stalemate. One, I told him I didn’t want to do it and you can see why. Two, it was a huge undertaking. He did say he would help. Uh-huh. I warned him that even though I agreed to empty the room don’t count on me getting rid of anything.  We packed everything in boxes and the room was empty in three days.

In three weeks almost everything was back in the room. The shelves took up half the room. The floor was beautiful and clean and clear. Now to put thing on the shelves. Because the packing was finished so quickly there was no rhyme or reason to how things went into boxes. I tried to label as I went but even that wasn’t successful.

Studio floor - cleanStudio fabric sorting 001Studio fabric sorting 002

I took fabric from boxes and plunked it onto shelves. At first I tried to put it in color categories then I gave up. That brings us to March 2015 — two years later. Frustrated with opening and closing boxes to find out what is inside I said ENUF! How am I going to get this back to where I can actually find what I need when I need it? Yes my former workroom was a mess but I knew where everything was.

I started by removing two shelves of fabric. I had a brilliant idea I would sort it into stripes, geometrics, colors, floral, ethnic, regional. I started dividing them into groupings. I looked at what I had and again I said, “What a mess.” I had too many groups — I needed to simplify. I had two empty shelves not TEN. As you saw yesterday I started with hand dyes and black and whites. That emptied two more shelves. From there I could pull from the shelves without sorting on to the table. I decided where to put it by what the color looked like to me first . To that I also added what I had sorted on the table. It wasn’t 100% perfect but it was better than it had been.

Fabric - black and white008frabics - red

Which leave space on other shelves for more sorting.

Studio fabric sorting 005Studio fabric sorting 006

Open shelves, more space. If I refolded the fabric I would have more space still. That will be another day.

Nature abhors a vacuum — I imagine this vacancy too will soon be gone.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s